Alok Sharma named as Business Secretary13 February 2020
Alok Sharma, MP for Reading West, has been named as Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
He takes on the role from South Northamptonshire MP Andrea Leadsom, who departed from the business department following a reshuffle by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on 13 February 2020.
Taking to Twitter, Leadsom said: “It has been a real privilege to serve in government for the last six years, and in @beisgovuk [The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy] for six months. I now look forward to focusing on my constituents and on my 20+ year campaign to see every baby get the best start in life.”
Sharma, formerly International Development Secretary, will also act as minister for COP26, the UN climate change conference in Glasgow in November 2020.
Other positions include:
- George Eustice – appointed Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Grant Shapps – remains Secretary of State for Transport
- Gavin Williamson – remains Secretary of State for Education
- Ben Wallace – remains Secretary of State for Defence
- Robert Jenrick – remains Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Matt Hancock – remains Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
- Elizabeth Truss – remains Secretary of State for International Trade, President of the Board of Trade, and Minister for Women and Equalities
- Anne-Marie Trevelyan – appointed Secretary of State for International Development
- Rishi Sunak – appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer
This material is protected by MA Business copyright
See Terms and Conditions.
One-off usage is permitted but bulk copying is not.
For multiple copies
contact the sales team.